Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Edward Wesson and his colour palette

I would have loved to had the opportunity of attending one or more of Ted Wesson's demonstrations, but unfortunately this never happened, his loose paintings and the way they were constructed are a great inspiration to me, in particular his pen and wash work, I have found it a little difficult to find information to the colour palette he mainly used it appears that they were mostly transparent colours and were warm and cool primary colours, it also seems that he used three different blues [French Ultramarine, Winsor and Cobalt],  I do not believe you should try to copy an artist's style you admire, but to take snippets of the techniques they worked with and improve your own style, any good reading or websites that you think would be of interest I would love to hear about.

5 comments:

Arts cad said...

Your site is really informative.
sell art
sell art online

Arts cad said...

Great..

oil paintings
artwork reproductions

Arts cad said...

great
Buy painting reproductions
Buy artists posters

Arts cad said...

nice one

Buy contemporary painting
Buy original artist contemporary art

Keith Tilley said...

Hello David, I just found your blog when I was doing a search for anything new about Edward Wesson. He is an artist I very much admire too.

From what I have read I understand that his palette consisted of the following Winsor and Newton colours:-

Winsor Yellow
Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Light Red
Burnt Umber
Cobalt
French Ultramarine
Winsor Blue

For his line-and-wash pieces he used a restricted palette of Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna and Payne's Grey, instead of a blue.

Halsgrove Publishing have produced several books on him by Steve Hall and Barry Miles.

"The Art of Edward Wesson" by Ron Ranson has been republished.

Steve Hall has also made a couple of DVDs for Town House Films about painting in the Wesson way.